Live Updates: Travel Waivers and Cancellation Policies Due to Coronavirus Impact
Now covering 163 airlines
Last updated 3/19/20 AT 3:15 PM PT.
We’re continuously updating this page as new information becomes available about COVID-19 and its impact on travel.
Latest News About Coronavirus
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) continues to spread globally, infecting tens of thousands of people. The disease originated in China, where there is the highest number of confirmed cases to date, but it is now impacting dozens of countries, making many cautious to travel.
The United States is expanding travel restrictions from China to Iran and heightening a travel advisory for certain regions of South Korea and Italy, according to Vice President Mike Pence on Saturday. The US has already put screening in place for anyone traveling from China, and now new screening procedures have been announced for people traveling from other “high-risk countries.”
U.S. ANNOUNCES LEVEL 4 TRAVEL ADVISORY
UPDATED AS OF 3/19/20 at 3:15PM PT: The U.S. Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel. Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.
If you need assistance with booking a flight to return to the U.S, contact our customer experience team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note there might be longer wait time due to higher than normal demand. Learn more about how TravelBank can support your business travel here.
Additional information on the Level 4 Travel Advisory can be viewed here.
U.K. AND IRELAND FLIGHT BAN
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 12:00PM PT: On Saturday, March 14th, the US government announced it will be expanding its travel directive to include travel from the UK and Ireland, effective midnight on Monday, March 16th.
Under the directive, foreign nationals with 14-day prior travel within the UK and Ireland will not be eligible to enter the United States.
US citizens, Legal Permanent Residents and certain family members (and other limited exceptions) will be allowed to enter the US through one of the 13 CDC-approved airports and will be subject to a health screening upon arrival:
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Dallas Fort Worth (DFW)
- Newark (EWR)
- Honolulu (HNL)
- Miami (MIA)
- New York (JFK)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington DC Dulles (IAD)
EUROPEAN FLIGHT BAN
As of 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on 13 March 2020, the United States government will prohibit non-US citizens from the European Union’s Schengen Area or those who have visited the Schengen Area in the previous two weeks from entering the United States for the next 30 days. The Schengen Area includes Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents will still be able to enter the country through CDC-specified airports.
If you have further questions or need assistance, contact our customer experience team at email@example.com. Please note there might be longer wait time due to higher than normal demand. Learn more about how TravelBank can support your business travel here.
RESOURCES TO LEARN MORE ABOUT CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 (COVID-2019)
To learn more about how Coronavirus is impacting business travel, read this.
It’s important to communicate travel policy updates in response to Coronavirus. For an example on how to do so, you can view the TravelBank Coronavirus Response Plan for Employees or this list of crowdsourced Coronavirus company policies.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- State Department Travel Advisories
Canceling Bookings Made Through TravelBank
If you’ve booked a flight in the last 24 hours, you can cancel directly on your Trips section in the Travelbank app or on the Travel page. For any other cancellations, please reach out to customer support via chat, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (866) 682-8785. Learn more about how TravelBank can support your business travel here.
Flight Cancellation and Waiver Policies by Airline
When severe weather or other major uncontrollable events (such as Covid-19) impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. To help you navigate the various travel alerts and travel waivers, TravelBank has provided airline resources that you can refer to:
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20
Additional Info from Our Most Traveled Airlines
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:44PM PT: Book with peace of mind with Aer Lingus. Aer Lingus is currently waiving its change fees across all fare types and in all markets.You may re-book to another day of travel by using the Aer Lingus Manage Trip section. Please note the departure destination cannot be changed online.
Additional information on Aer Lingus change waivers, terms and conditions, as well as schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 2:50PM PT: When you purchase a ticket between March 4 and March 31, 2020, Air Canada will allow you to make a one-time change to your flight without incurring a change fee up to 2 hours before your departing flight. You can also cancel your booking and credit what you paid against future travel. In both cases any fare difference will apply, any residual value resulting from a lower fare will be lost and all travel must be completed by December 31, 2020.
This policy also applies to Aeroplan Flight Reward bookings. Please contact Aeroplan directly if you choose to make changes to your booking.
Additional information on Air Canada’s policies, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:00PM PT: Due to increasing travel restrictions, and faced with a sharp decline in demand, Air France will be reducing its flight capacity by up to 90% over the next few days. This capacity reduction is currently planned to last 2 months. Air France is continuously monitoring the situation to adjust its services in real time.
To help you to adjust your travel plans in light of the ongoing health situation, Air France has put in place exceptional measures throughout its network.
You Want to Plan A Trip: Book your flight with confidence. For any booking made before March 31, 2020, you have until September 30, 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees, subject to availability of the same fare. Your new trip must begin no later than November 30, 2020.
You Want to Postpone Your Trip: If you have purchased a ticket for a flight departing before May 31, 2020, you have until September 30, 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees. Your new trip must begin no later than November 30, 2020. Save time by changing your booking online in the “My Bookings” section of our website or mobile application. You can also contact your travel agent.
You Want to Cancel Your Trip: If you have purchased a ticket for a flight departing before May 31, 2020, please contact your travel agency for further information. If you purchased a ticket directly from Air France’s website, please complete the Air France refund form to obtain a travel voucher. This non-refundable voucher is valid for 1 year on all Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic flights.
Additional details on Air France’s policies, including flight schedule updates, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 3:09PM PT: Alaska Airlines has extended their “peace of mind waiver” for guests, including:
No Change or Cancellation Fees for:
- Tickets purchased on/before February 26, 2020 for travel through April 30, 2020.
- New tickets purchased between February 27 and March 31, 2020.
- Additional terms and conditions can be viewed here.
Additional information on Alaska Airlines’ change policies, as well as their commitment to guests during these times can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 3:17PM PT: American Airlines has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through April 30. The offer is available for any of American’s fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
- Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
- This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through April 30.
- The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date whichever is sooner.
Additional information on American Airlines’ change policy, as well as waiver information and travel alerts for Europe, Italy, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, and India, can be found here.
American Airlines will implement a phased suspension of additional long-haul international flights from the U.S. starting on March 16. This suspension will last through May 6. This change is in response to decreased demand and changes to U.S. government travel restrictions due to coronavirus (COVID-19). The airline will:
- Reduce international capacity by 75% year over year — from March 16 to May 6
- Continue to operate one flight daily from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to London (LHR), one flight daily from Miami (MIA) to LHR and three flights per week from DFW to Tokyo (NRT)
- Continue short-haul international flying, which includes flights to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and certain markets in the northern part of South America, as scheduled
In addition to the international changes, the airline anticipates its domestic capacity in April will be reduced by 20% compared to last year and May’s domestic capacity will be reduced by 30% on a year over year basis.
Additional information on American Airlines’ schedule changes in response to customer demand related to COVID-19 can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 3:27PM PT: British Airways introduced flexible travel options for the following guests:
You are traveling with BA between March 14 and May 31. You can cancel your booking and receive a voucher for the same value. Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. Get your BA Future Travel Voucher Application here.
You want to make a booking with the flexibility to change travel dates and destination. All bookings made between March 3 to May 31 can be exchanged for a voucher of the same value. Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. Get your BA Future Travel Voucher Application here.
You want to make a booking with the flexibility to change travel dates. There is zero change fee on all bookings made between March 3 to May 31. You can change your travel dates to the same destination up to 12 months from the original booking date. Simply go to BA Manage My Booking and choose the new dates that suit you best. Fare differences still apply.
Additional information on British Airways’ change policies, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 3:21PM PT: In view of the evolving COVID-19 situation, Cathay Pacific is offering you more flexibility, so that you can change your plans easily.
In light of the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, Cathay Pacific is waiving rebooking, rerouting and cancellation fees – so you can change your plans easily and free of charge. Please refer to the Cathay Pacific table here to see if your ticket is eligible.
If you booked on or before February 4, 2020 for travel until May 31, 2020 for any ticket to, through or from Hong Kong, you can change your booking with no rebooking or rerouting fees. You may have to pay a fare difference if your new ticket is more expensive, but Cathay Pacific agents will do their best to find you a similar priced fare. You can choose a new date up to December 10, 2020. If you haven’t decided right now, don’t worry – you have until 31 May 2020 to change your ticket. Additional information and terms and conditions can be viewed here.
Additional information on Cathay Pacific’s refund and rebooking policies, as well as travel restrictions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/16/20 at 8:37AM PT: Copa Airlines made their exchange policies more flexible, providing you more options and the confidence you need to continue traveling with Copa. You can make adjustments to your itinerary without change fees. Please contact Copa’s Reservation Center, visit Copa’s Sales Offices or Travel Agencies to request changes, according to the following conditions:
- Tickets purchased until March 31, 2020
- Original travel dates must be originated and completed by June 15, 2020
- New travel must be completed by December 31, 2020 or according to ticket validity (whichever happens first)
- Applies only to Copa Airlines tickets: regulars and award tickets.
- The exemption of change fee only applies once.
- Refund and cancellations apply according to fare rules conditions.
Option A: I want to change my flight date. Copa Airlines allows you to modify the date, flight or route of your trip without the change fee, but fare differences may apply.
Option B: I want to use my ticket for a future trip. You can use the value of the ticket as credit for a future trip. The credit will be valid for one year from the original ticket issue date or until December 31, 2020 (whichever happens first). The change fee for this change will not be charged, however, a difference in fare may apply.
Additional information on Copa’s change policy, terms and conditions, as well as their response to the coronavirus outbreak, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/19/20 at 9:25AM PT: Delta Air Lines is offering a waiver to assist customers who may be impacted by the Coronavirus situation.
All U.S. Domestic Travel Waiver Information: Delta is waiving change fees for all U.S. Domestic travel (travel solely within the U.S. 50) on tickets issues on/before March 17, 2020 for travel between March 17, 2020 – April 30, 2020. Additional terms and conditions apply.
All International Travel Waiver Information: Delta is waiving change fees for all International Flights (not including travel solely within the U.S. 50) on tickets issues on/before March 17, 2020 for travel between March 17, 2020 – May 31, 2020. Additional terms and conditions apply.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:10PM PT: To allow additional flexibility in making travel changes, any Delta ticket expiring in March or April which was originally scheduled for travel in March or April is being extended to permit travel until December 31, 2020. Whenever your travel may be, rest assured that all changes will be processed and applicable credits will be issued; if you don’t take your flight, your ticket number automatically becomes an unused eCredit within 24 hours.
Delta is broadly waiving change fees for travel impacted by coronavirus. That means all travel departing in March or April 2020, as well as all tickets purchased in March 2020.
If your travel is eligible for a waiver, you can move your travel dates and even select a new destination. Please select a flight that begins before December 31, 2020 or your ticket expiration date. Your unused ticket will be applied toward your new flight. If the new fare is lower, you will receive a Delta travel voucher for the difference. If the new fare is higher, the difference will be applied.
Travel Purchased in March
You have the option to change your ticket, one time, and the change fee will be waived. Please note, if your new flight is more expensive, the fare difference will apply. For the best experience, please go to My Trips to adjust your plans before your original travel date. Your new travel should begin before your ticket expiration date. View full terms and conditions here.
Additional information on Delta’s waiver policy, how to change or cancel a flight, as well as travel restrictions and schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 10:30PM PT: Fiji Airways is offering flexibility for guests wishing to change their flights to defer travel without any change fees or hold credit for later travel (a fare difference may apply, especially if partner airlines are involved in the booking).
All passengers with existing or new booking(s) with Fiji Airways (FJ/260) have the following flexibility :
- If guests wish to change their travel dates, they can do so without incurring any fees (reissue fees and fare difference included) should they travel by June 30, 2020.
- There will be no reissue fees (fare difference fee will apply) should guests wish to travel after June 30, 2020.
- If your flights were booked through a travel agency or third-party website, you will need to contact these companies directly to make changes to your booking. Fiji Airways is unable to make changes to bookings done by third-party websites. The same conditions listed above will apply.
- If you are unsure as to when you would like to travel, you can have your fare held in credit. Upon rebooking, any change fees will be waived.
Additional information on Fiji Airways’ rebooking policy, terms and conditions, as well as schedule changes and travel advisories for Australia and New Zealand, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 3:33PM PT: Frontier Airlines increased flexibility with waived change/cancel fees.
- For tickets issued prior to March 10, 2020 with original travel dates between March 10 and April 30, 2020 customers may make a one-time change to their itinerary without a change/cancel fee.
- For tickets issued March 10 through March 31, 2020, customers may make a one-time change to their itinerary without a change/cancel fee.
- To change your reservation under this special fee waiver, please contact us at 801-401-9000. If your travel is not scheduled in the next 24 hours, please wait to call as we are experiencing very high call volumes.
- To cancel your reservation and retain the value of your ticket to be applied towards the purchase of a future ticket within 90 days of cancellation (for any available travel date through November, 2020), please complete the form here. Select the “COVID-19 Cancel” option from the drop down.
- Terms and conditions apply; please go to Frontier’s new change policy page for terms and conditions.
Additional information on Frontier’s cancel/fee waiver for new bookings and existing bookings, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 3:39PM PT: Hawaiian Airlines expands its flexible ticket change policies, including:
Book New Flights With Confidence. Guests who book any Hawaiian Airlines flights between March 1-31, 2020 may change their travel to a future date without incurring change fees
Travel Waivers for Guests with Existing Bookings. For Hawaiian Airlines guests who have existing bookings and may be concerned about upcoming travel, Hawaiian Airlines has adopted flexible ticket change policies due to the evolving COVID-19 situation.
Additional information on Hawaiian Airlines’ change policies, terms and conditions, as well as information on waivers for travel for Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Japan, South Korea, and China, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/11/2020 at 8:45AM PT: JetBlue is announced they are pleased to waive change/cancel fees for all Customers traveling Tuesday, March 10, through Monday, April 30, 2020 to/from ALL JetBlue destinations. Original travel must have been booked on or before Tuesday, March 10, 2020.
Customers may rebook their flights for travel through October 24, 2020 online in the Manage Flights section of jetblue.com or contact JetBlue prior to the departure time of their originally scheduled flight. Fare difference may apply. For cancellations, funds will be issued as a JetBlue Travel Bank Credit, valid for one year from date of issuance.
Additional information on JetBlue’s temporary policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:21PM PT: KLM has extended the rebooking possibilities to all of their flights. You can now book your KLM flight with the guarantee of being able to change your booking at no extra cost. Please note that this temporary policy does not replace the existing policies to specific destinations.
Rebook Your Flight
If you have booked a flight with a scheduled departure until May 31, 2020, please see below rebooking options KLM can offer you. Please note that this policy does not replace the existing policies for specific destinations. For KLM Package Deals, a different policy applies.
- Change your travel dates. You may change your travel dates without having to pay the change fee. Until and including November 30, 2020, you can change your travel dates if the same travel class as mentioned on your original ticket is available. From December 1, 2020 onwards, you can change your travel dates if the same fare type as mentioned in your original ticket is available. If you change to a higher fare type, you may need to pay the fare difference.
- Change your destination. You may use the full value of your original tickets for new tickets on KLM, Air France, Delta Air Lines or Virgin Atlantic. You will not have to pay the change fee.
- Request a voucher. You can also choose to postpone your trip. In this case, KLM will provide you with a voucher that will be valid for 1 year and can be used on KLM, Air France, Delta, and Virgin Atlantic flights. This voucher will be non-refundable.
Additional details on KLM’s change and cancel policy, terms and conditions, as well as rebooking policies for the US, China, Italy, India, Kuwait, Bahrain, Singapore and South Korea, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 3:12PM PT: LATAM has enabled a special site on latam.com so you can reschedule your trips with the flexible policies they have developed in response to the COVID-19 crisis. If you have a flight booked between March 17 and May 31, 2020 in countries with border closures and/or state of emergency, you can change your ticket yourself through LATAM’s website. Reschedule your flight here.
If you purchased your LATAM ticket on or before March 14, 2020 and your flight is before April 30, 2020; you may reschedule your flight without penalties up to December 31, 2020. Any fare difference must be paid.
If you purchased your ticket between March 15 and March 31, 2020; you may reschedule your flight without penalties up to December 31, 2020. Any fare difference must be paid.
If you are uncertain about your new travel date, please call LATAM before your original flight date. You are entitled to the option of keeping the ticket value as a personal credit for future travel up to December 31, 2020.
Additional information on LATAM’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:30PM PT: The Lufthansa Group airlines Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and Air Dolomiti would like to assist you during this time of exceptional circumstances by introducing more flexible rebooking options. The Lufthansa Group’s new extensive waiver policies allow for your individual travel plans and make it easy to find the right flight at the right time. You can choose one of the following options:
- You hold an existing reservation and would like to rebook to a new departure date:You hold a ticket that was issued before or on March 5 with a travel date up to April 30 2020. Your ticket can be rebooked within its original ticket validity period or until a new date of travel up to December 31, 2020 and Lufthansa Group will waive the rebooking fees. The webpages of the individual Lufthansa Group airlines offer a comfortable way for self-service rebookings. If you hold a Light Fare, please contact Lufthansa’s Service Center.
- You hold an existing reservation and do not have a new departure date: You hold a ticket that was issued before or on March 12 with a travel date up to April 30, 2020. You are now able to cancel your reservation without having to rebook right away. You are able to decide until June 1 by which time a new flight has to be booked. The new travel date must be within the validity of your ticket or until December 31, 2020. If you choose this option, please get in touch with Lufthansa’s Service Center.
- You do not have a reservation yet but like flexible travel options: Book a new ticket until March 31, 2020, and the airlines of the Lufthansa Group will waive the rebooking fees for all newly booked flights worldwide and offer a one-time rebooking – regardless of condition of the original booking fare purchased. You can rebook to a new travel date until December 31, 2020 without rebooking fees.
Austrian Airlines will temporarily suspend flight operations
The Lufthansa Group carrier Austrian Airlines will temporarily suspend scheduled flight operations as of Thursday, March 19, 2020. Austrian Airlines is thus reacting to the entry restrictions imposed by many countries in response to the massive spread of the coronavirus.
Austrian Airlines will cancel all flights until March 28, 2020, and passengers who have booked a flight with Austrian Airlines during this period will be rebooked on other airlines if possible. Please check the status of your reservation before traveling via austrian.com and make use of their extensive self-service possibilities.
Additional information on The Lufthansa Group’s booking and change policies, as well as information on their schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:35PM PT:
Booking Changes and Refunds
Customers with existing Qantas bookings on any international or Australian domestic flight until May 31, 2020, who no longer wish to travel, can cancel their flight and retain the value of their booking as a flight credit.
- Cancellations must be processed by March 31, 2020.
- It applies to all Qantas Group services including Jetstar and all partner airlines.
- The flight credit must be redeemed by September 30, 2020 or within 12 months of the date that the original ticket was issued, whichever date is later. The change fee will be waived.
- Flight credits can be used for travel on any domestic or international flights, for any travel dates available at the time of redemption.
- Qantas will waive the change fee when customers are ready to rebook, however the customer will need to cover any fare increase in their new booking.
- If you have already made use of this offer to convert your booking to a credit that expires before September 30, 2020, it will be extended to match the above conditions.
Changing International Flights to Meet Demand
With demand for international travel shifting, Qantas is making changes to a range of international services between late March and mid-September. Some routes are unaffected, while others now have reduced frequency, will be operated by a different aircraft or will be re-routed via a different port. Additional information on Qantas International network changes can be viewed here.
Additional information on Qantas’ schedule flexible changes policies, terms and conditions, as well as schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/9/2020 at 12:05PM PT: Southwest Airlines never charges Customers a fee to change or cancel their flight. If a Customer’s plans change, or they decide they no longer want to travel, the funds used to pay for their flight can be applied to future travel – as long as they cancel their flight at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. The funds are valid for future travel up to one year from the original purchase date and must be used by the individual named on the ticket. More information on policies related to travel funds can be found on Southwest.com.
Additional information on how Southwest is monitoring and responding to the Coronavirus can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/2020 at 3:28PM PT: Turkish Airlines introduces a zero change fee for international flights so you can plan your trip with more flexibility, comfort and peace of mind.
Plan your flexible flights with zero change fee privilege
For tickets purchased before March 31, 2020, for flights until December 31, 2020 (except for tickets for domestic flights in Turkey and to/from Ercan airport), we introduce a zero fee for changes. If you still do not know the exact travel date, you can cancel the reservation and save your ticket as a ticket with an open date so that you can use it later. When submitting a request for changes to the issued ticket, your first request for changes will be made free of charge. If your travel plans change, take advantage of the zero change fee privilege and enjoy flexible flight conditions. Additional terms and conditions apply.
Additional information on Turkish Airlines’ change policy, as well as schedule changes and travel restrictions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/2020 at 2:40PM PT:
Travel from Europe. In order to assist customers departing Europe, United Airlines has capped fares to the United States from countries affected by the government-imposed travel policy. If you’re scheduled to travel March 10 – April 30, 2020, and would like to change your plans, there is no fee to do so, regardless of when you purchased your ticket or where you’re traveling. See waiver details.
United Airlines will continue to fly its regular schedule from Europe to the U.S. through March 20, except Houston-London and Denver-London, which United is suspending after March 16. After March 20, United will fly three daily flights to London and Frankfurt, two daily flights to Munich, daily service to Dublin, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris and Zurich, and four flights a week to Lisbon.
United Airlines will continue to follow the situation in Europe closely and make any changes necessary.
Additional Travel Flexibility
- Booking a new flight: When you book a flight with United Airlines between March 3 and March 31, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months. See terms and conditions.
- Rescheduling a trip: United Airlines is also waiving change fees for all tickets issued on or before March 2 — domestic or international — with original travel dates of March 9 through April 30. If you’re not sure when you want to travel, you can cancel your trip and rebook later with change fees waived. See waiver details.
- How to change or cancel your flight: To change or cancel your flight online, view your reservation on United.com, enter your trip details and select the appropriate option.
Additional information on United Airlines’ flexible change policy, terms and additions, as well as flight suspensions and schedule reductions can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 4:36PM PT: Virgin Atlantic has extended its flexible no change fees policy:
- For customers that have a ticket originally issued on or before March 11, 2020 for original dates of travel up to and including May 31, 2020: Travel can be rebooked March13, 2020 – December 31, 2020.
- For customers that have a ticket originally issued between March 12, 2020 and March 31, 2020, for original dates of travel up to and including 30 November 2020: Travel can be rebooked March 13, 2020 – December 31, 2020.
This means that if your plans do need to change, you can switch your flight to an alternative date with no penalty. Virgin Atlantic will waive the fee for one change. Rebooked flights will be subject to availability and any difference in fare.
You can also choose to re-route on a Virgin Atlantic or Virgin Atlantic Codeshare flight to or from your original destination, or rebook to or from another destination.
Travel must commence by December 31, 2020.
This policy applies to all booking classes (including Economy Light) on all routes in Virgin Atlantic’s international network, and for tickets booked with Virgin Atlantic on their transatlantic codeshare flights with Delta, Air France and KLM. Your flight number will begin with the letters “VS”. It also includes Flying Club redemption bookings.
Additional information on Virgin Atlantic’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/2020 at 3:05PM PT: Change or cancel your WestJet flights online using WestJet’s Manage Trips section, and get a $0 one-time fee waiver. Some bookings can only be changed or cancelled by an agent, learn more about your booking’s eligibility.
Cancellation requests for flights that do not meet eligibility requirements can be can submitted using this form. If you were unable to reach WestJet before your flight and decided not to fly due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), you may be eligible for a credit.
If you booked through a Travel Agent (online or directly), Corporate Travel arranger, or another airline, please contact them directly.
More information on WestJet’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
Rail Waiver Policies
UPDATED AS OF 3/9/20 at 1:47 PM PT: Amtrak announces it is taking the following measures in order to maintain a safe environment and address customer concerns and potential business impact:
If you are planning your Amtrak trip:
- Travel with confidence: As a valued customer, we are waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before April 30, 2020. Simply log in to your account or go to Modify Trip on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. If you want to cancel your reservation, call 800-USA-RAIL. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary.
- Minimal service impacts: There are currently no travel restrictions on Amtrak. As we are experiencing some lower demand, we have temporarily suspended three trains that operate between New York and Washington (Trains 2401, 2402, 2403). All three of these trains have alternative services available within 30 minutes before and after their scheduled departure.
- Take care of yourself and keep others safe: If you are feeling ill, please stay home until feeling better.
For more information on Amtrak’s active measures at this time, please visit: https://media.amtrak.com/2020/03/amtrak-takes-active-measures-to-maintain-safe-environment/
Lodging Rates and Cancellation Policies
Hotels are easy to cancel and get refunded as long as you booked a refundable rate. Check whether your hotel stay has a 48-hour cancellation notice requirement or allows you to cancel up to 24 hours before your stay. If your hotel is refundable within your cancellation policy, our agents can help you cancel or change your travel plans.
If you paid up front or selected a discounted non-refundable rate when booking your hotel stay, you may not have a cancellation option. You can read more about the various hotel rate types here.
UPDATE AS OF 3/5/20 at 10:25AM PT: Certain areas around the globe such as Mainland China, Hong Kong, and South Korea have been deemed “high risk” for travel by the State Department, CDC, and WHO due to spread of the Coronavirus. In response, and to help keep travelers stay safe, some hotels are practicing more flexible cancellation policies than usual and waiving change fees. If you have booked an upcoming stay in one of these destinations through TravelBank, please reach out to our team of agents to see what your options are.
BEST PRACTICE FOR NEW HOTEL BOOKINGS
TravelBank offers many refundable rates with flexible cancellation policies up to 24 hours before the check-in date, so when making new hotel reservations select a refundable rate and read over the cancellation policy to understand your options.
Airbnb states that their “extenuating circumstances policy” covers its hosts and guests with eligible reservations who are being impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. As the situation evolves, Airbnb will be continuously evaluating and updating this policy.
If your trip is covered by the policy, you will have the option to cancel your homes reservation or Airbnb Experience without charge. If you’re traveling from or hosting in a severely impacted area and Airbnb can recognize your location and reservation details as outlined below, you may be notified that your reservation automatically qualifies on the reservation details page. If your reservation is eligible under this policy but you do not have a notification, please contact Airbnb.
Please visit https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/coronavirus-information-and-extenuating-circumstances-policy for further details and updates on Airbnb’s response to Coronavirus.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:25PM PT: The Godfrey Hotel Chicago is amending its standard cancellation policy for the time being. You can reschedule or cancel your stay up to 24 hours prior to arrival. If you need to make an adjustment, contact their reservations team at 855.649.2200 and they’ll do everything they can to assist.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:23PM PT: To assist guests whose travel may be impacted by the novel coronavirus, Hilton has modification and cancellation waivers in place for the following regions:
- For guests traveling to, through, or from China with stays from January 23 – March 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from Italy with stays from February 24 – April 30, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from South Korea with stays from February 24 – March 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from Saudi Arabia with stays from February 27 – march 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from Israel with stays from March 10 – March 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling between the United States and the following European countries from March 13 – April 12, 2020: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Hilton encourages guests with questions regarding upcoming reservations to contact Hilton Reservations and Customer Care for assistance. Group customers with current reservations are encourages to contact the respective properties directly.
Please click here to read about Hilton’s commitment to their guests, including its cleanliness and hygiene standards, and Hilton Honors Points expiration policy adjustment.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:35PM PT: Hyatt is allowing more flexibility regarding your upcoming travel, including:
Waiving Change and Cancellation Fees
Hyatt is temporarily adjusting its policies to allow for maximum flexibility to help you make the right decisions regarding travel at this time:
- Existing reservations for upcoming travel between March 14 and April 30, 2020: All existing reservations made before March 13, 2020 that are for arrivals between March 14 and April 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- New reservations for any future travel: Any reservation you make between March 13, 2020, and April 30, 2020 – for any future arrival date – can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- Existing Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations for travel through June 2020: As announced earlier, special exceptions are in place for all Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020 for arrivals before June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt, at least 24 hours before their stay, to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above (if eligible). World of Hyatt points may be used toward future travel at any of our 900+ hotels across 17 brands globally.
For full details and to make arrangements, please call one of Hyatt’s Global Contact Centers or email them at email@example.com.
Please visit htps://www.hyatt.com/en-US/info/coronavirus-statement for further details.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:47PM PT: IHG Hotels & Resorts shares the actions they have taken in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Cancellation Policy & Booking Flexibility
IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between March 9, 2020 and April 30, 2020. This is in addition to existing cancellation policy measures we have in place, summarized below:
For any stay prior to March9 , 2020, existing measures mean that you will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, if you are traveling to or from:
- Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between January 23, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
- Italy and South Korea for any stay between February 28, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
Groups & Meetings Bookings
IHG will work with customers to manage any changes needed on a case-by-case basis. IHG hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply IHG’s existing measures, enabling these clients to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
- Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between January 23, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
- Italy and South Korea for any stay between February 28, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
Best Flexible Rates
For bookings beyond April 30, 2020, IHG wants to remind you of the flexibility already built into their rates and packages that allow guests to amend travel plans as necessary. IHG’s Best Flexible Rate allows guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival. Changing the date on any reservations through our Best Flexible Rate may result in different pricing, but there is no fee for making changes.
Additional details of IHG’s cancellation and booking policies, as well as additional information on IHG Rewards Club status can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:25PM PT: For any stay until May 10th, Mama Shelter is offering free cancellation until the day of your arrival (3pm local time) for any stay booked between March 13, 2020 and May 10, 2020 included at Mama Shelter Belgrade, Bordeaux, Lille, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille, Paris East, Paris West, Prague and Toulouse.
Additional information about Mama Shelter can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:55PM PT: In response to changing marketplace conditions, Marriott International is committed to ensuring its customers experience flexibility during these challenging times.
For all Marriott International hotels world-wide, Marriott is implementing the following policies:
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, Marriott will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by April 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and April 30, 2020, Marriott will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- *Important Information:
- Some exclusions may apply. May exclude periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks. Please refer to individual property rate rules for details.
- Marriott Vacations Worldwide is included in this policy. Design Hotels are excluded from this policy.
- For individual reservations booked into a pre-existing group block, please refer to cancellation terms quoted at the time of reservation. For more information, please contact the group organizer or the hotel.
- For group organizer questions on terms and conditions of group contracts, please contact the hotel.
Additional details of Marriott’s cancellation policy and commitment to customers during these times can be found here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:11PM PT: Radisson is constantly updating its global cancellation policy to reflect the most recent developments related to the COVID-19 and to offer guests as much flexibility and planning comfort as possible.
- Radisson allows free modifications or free cancellations for all existing and new reservations (in all countries and all RHG hotels worldwide) for stays until April 30, 2020
- Please note that any modification to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate difference
- Guests who booked via online travel agents or third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider for information on their policies
- For reservations with stays after April 30, 2020, our normal cancellation policy applies
Leisure Groups, Business Groups and Meeting & Events
- Radisson allows free cancellations for China, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Italy, Belgium, Spain, France and U.S. inbound and outbound business for arrivals/meetings & events up to and including April 30, 2020
- This also applies to cancellations resulting from government travel and meeting restrictions for the duration of the respective measurement. This includes, but not limited to, the travel suspension from the European Union to the United States and the visa suspension for India
- In all other instances, Radisson’s hotel teams will work directly with you to evaluate changes needed on a case-by-case basis
- For arrivals/meetings & events after April 30, 2020, our normal cancellation policy applies.
If you need to adjust or cancel a reservation, please contact the hotel directly, use Radisson’s online form or contact your travel agent.
Additional details of Radisson’s cancellation policy and commitment to customers during these times can be found here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/12/20 AT 7:01AM PT: Given the health and safety risks posed by the COVID-19 virus, Virgin Hotels is asking all guests to please review your local authorities’ travel guidance and health advisories related to this outbreak. For the latest guides please visit the CDC travel notice website.
To assist guests whose travel may be impacted, Virgin Hotels will waive cancellation fees or deposits for hotel stays through April 30 for guest(s) traveling from countries with a Level 2 or Level 3 designation from the CDC. For the latest listing please visit the CDC travel information website.
Virgin Hotels encourages guests with questions or concerns regarding upcoming reservations to Virgin Hotels to contact the hotel where the reservation was made for assistance.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:01PM PT: Wyndham’s mission is to make hotel travel possible for all, and that becomes especially important during times of uncertainty. Its cancellation policies for direct bookings are among the most flexible in the hotel industry, with thousands of its hotels honoring no-fee cancellations up to 6 p.m. on the day of arrival. Additionally, Wyndham has enhanced our cancellation policies as follows:
- Guests traveling to or from Greater China, South Korea or Italy with direct bookings for stays in any of Wyndham’s hotels through March 31, 2020 will have their cancellation or change penalties waived.
- Guests who are prohibited from traveling to their booked hotel under applicable law will have their cancellation or change penalties waived on direct bookings.
- Globally, for existing direct bookings, all of Wyndham’s properties are required to accommodate non-cancellable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of room nights or more are booked for a future stay.
Additional information on Wyndham’s enhanced cancellation policies, as well as additional information on Wyndham Rewards member status, can be found here.