Live Updates: Travel Waivers and Cancellation Policies Due to Coronavirus Impact
Now covering 163 airlines
Last updated 4/7/20 AT 11:04 AM PT.
We’re continuously updating this page as new information becomes available about COVID-19 and its impact on travel.
Latest News About Coronavirus
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) continues to spread globally, infecting over 1.2 million people. The United States is expanding travel restrictions. For a full list of Travel Advisories, please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/.
U.S. ANNOUNCES LEVEL 4 TRAVEL ADVISORY
UPDATED AS OF 3/19/20 at 3:15 PM PT: The U.S. Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel. Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.
If you need assistance with booking a flight to return to the U.S, contact our customer experience team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note there might be longer wait time due to higher than normal demand. Learn more about how TravelBank can support your business travel here.
Additional information on the Level 4 Travel Advisory can be viewed here.
U.K. AND IRELAND FLIGHT BAN
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 12:00 PM PT: On Saturday, March 14th, the US government announced it will be expanding its travel directive to include travel from the UK and Ireland, effective midnight on Monday, March 16th.
Under the directive, foreign nationals with 14-day prior travel within the UK and Ireland will not be eligible to enter the United States.
US citizens, Legal Permanent Residents and certain family members (and other limited exceptions) will be allowed to enter the US through one of the 13 CDC-approved airports and will be subject to a health screening upon arrival:
- Atlanta (ATL)
- Boston (BOS)
- Dallas Fort Worth (DFW)
- Newark (EWR)
- Honolulu (HNL)
- Miami (MIA)
- New York (JFK)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
- Seattle (SEA)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington DC Dulles (IAD)
EUROPEAN FLIGHT BAN
As of 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on 13 March 2020, the United States government will prohibit non-US citizens from the European Union’s Schengen Area or those who have visited the Schengen Area in the previous two weeks from entering the United States for the next 30 days. The Schengen Area includes Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents will still be able to enter the country through CDC-specified airports.
If you have further questions or need assistance, contact our customer experience team at email@example.com. Please note there might be longer wait time due to higher than normal demand. Learn more about how TravelBank can support your business travel here.
RESOURCES TO LEARN MORE ABOUT CORONAVIRUS DISEASE 2019 (COVID-2019)
To learn more about how Coronavirus is impacting business travel, read this. And for resources to help your company manage expenses while working remotely due to shelter-in-place orders, read about WFH expense policies.
It’s important to communicate travel policy updates in response to Coronavirus. For an example on how to do so, you can view the TravelBank Coronavirus Response Plan for Employees or this list of crowdsourced Coronavirus company policies.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- State Department Travel Advisories
Canceling Bookings Made Through TravelBank
If you’ve booked a flight in the last 24 hours, you can cancel directly on your Trips section in the Travelbank app or on the Travel page. For any other cancellations, please reach out to customer support via chat, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (866) 682-8785. Learn more about how TravelBank can support your business travel here.
U.S. Department of Transportation Flight Refund Rules
UPDATED AS OF 4/6/20 at 10:15 AM PT: On Friday, April 3, 2020, The U.S. Department of Transportation issued an Enforcement Notice clarifying, in the context of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, that U.S. and foreign airlines remain obligated to provide a prompt refund to passengers for flights to, within, or from the United States when the carrier cancels the passenger’s scheduled flight or makes a significant schedule change and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier. The obligation of airlines to provide refunds, including the ticket price and any optional fee charged for services a passenger is unable to use, does not cease when the flight disruptions are outside of the carrier’s control (e.g., a result of government restrictions).
For more information on the U.S. Department of Transportation Issues Enforcement Notice Clarifying Air Carrier Refund Requirements, Given the Impact of COVID-19, please the DOT website.
Flight Cancellation and Waiver Policies by Airline
When severe weather or other major uncontrollable events (such as Covid-19) impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. To help you navigate the various travel alerts and travel waivers, TravelBank has provided airline resources that you can refer to:
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20
Additional Info from Our Most Traveled Airlines
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 3:45 PM PT:
Operating on a reduced schedule. Aer Lingus is temporarily reducing its schedule between North America and Ireland. Guests booked to travel on one of the impacted services will be contacted directly. Aer Lingus will continue to operate a reduced number of flights to / from Dublin and New York (JFK), Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and Toronto during this time.
Changing your flights. Aer Lingus knows that there’s a lot of uncertainty about travel right now and they understand your concerns. Aer Lingus is offering two options if you’re scheduled to fly with them before May 31, 2020:
- Change your flight without a fee: You can change the date of your trip using the Aer Lingus Manage Trip section. Aer Lingus has waived its change fees, but please note that a fare difference may apply.
- Apply for a voucher: Apply for this by filling in your details on the Aer Lingus voucher request form. Aer Lingus will send you a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. So if your flight cost at total of €200, Aer Lingus will send you a €220 voucher. Terms and Conditions apply. See more details and FAQs on the voucher request page.
Additional information on Aer Lingus change waivers, terms and conditions, as well as schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 3:58 PM PT:
Commercial Flight Schedule. Post March 31, and until further notice from the Canadian government, Air Canada will continue serving all provinces and territories of Canada, with a reduced network, as well as a number of international and U.S. transborder destinations from select Canadian cities. For the full list of destinations Air Canada will continue to service as of April 1, please click here.
Flight Changes and Cancellations.
If you made a flight booking before April 15, 2020, Air Canada will allow you to make a one-time change to your existing booking without a fee, up until two (2) hours before your flight. You can fly to the same destination at a later date or change to a different destination. The rebooked travel needs to take place before April 30th, 2021. Additional terms and conditions apply.
If you made a flight booking before April 15th, 2020, and you want to cancel it, you can do so with no cancellation fee. You will receive full credit, which you can use towards future travel. This credit is valid for travel before April 30th, 2021. Additional terms and conditions apply.
This policy also applies to Aeroplan Flight Reward bookings. Please contact Aeroplan directly if you choose to make changes to your booking.
Additional information on Air Canada’s policies, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 4:05 PM PT:
Flight Schedule Adjustments. Due to increasing travel restrictions, and faced with a sharp decline in demand, Air France will be reducing its flight capacity by up to 90% over the next few days. This capacity reduction is currently planned to last 2 months. Air France is continuously monitoring the situation to adjust its services in real time. In addition, following the announcement of the closure of Paris-Orly airport on the evening of March 31, 2020, Air France is adapting its flight schedule and, as from April 1, 2020, Air France will transfer all its scheduled flights to Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport. All connecting flights will be ensured as initially planned in your trip, and you will be informed of any change done on the flights of your reservation.
To help you to adjust your travel plans in light of the ongoing health situation, Air France has put in place exceptional measures throughout its network.
You Want to Plan A Trip: Book your flight with confidence. For any booking made before March 31, 2020, you have until September 30, 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees, subject to availability of the same fare. Your new trip must begin no later than November 30, 2020.
You Want to Postpone Your Trip: If you have purchased a ticket before March 31, 2020 for a flight departing before May 31, 2020, you have until September 30, 2020 to postpone your departure date without change fees. Your new trip must begin no later than November 30, 2020. Save time by changing your booking online in the “My Bookings” section of our website or mobile application. You can also contact your travel agent.
You Want to Cancel Your Trip: If you have purchased a ticket before March 31, 2020 for a flight departing before May 31, 2020, please contact your travel agency for further information. If you purchased a ticket directly from Air France’s website, please complete the Air France refund form to obtain a travel voucher. This non-refundable voucher is valid for 1 year on all Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines and Virgin Atlantic flights.
Additional details on Air France’s policies, including flight schedule updates, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 4:09 PM PT: Alaska Airlines is offering more flexible travel options to give their guests peace of mind. These include:
- No change/cancellation fees for travel through May 31, 2020. View the details.
- Travel restrictions are in effect for multiple regions. View regional advisories.
- Please contact Alaska Airlines only if you’re unable to change or cancel your trip online.
Additional information on Alaska Airlines’ change policies, as well as their commitment to guests during these times can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 4:13 PM PT: American Airlines has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31, 2020. The change fee is waived if you can travel March 1 – December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier. Keep in mind, you may owe any difference in ticket price when you rebook your trip. Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
Additional information on American Airlines’ change policy, as well as waiver information and travel alerts for Europe, Italy, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, and India, can be found here.
Additional information on American Airlines’ schedule changes in response to customer demand related to COVID-19 can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 3:27 PM PT: British Airways introduced flexible travel options for the following guests:
You are traveling with BA between March 14 and May 31. You can cancel your booking and receive a voucher for the same value. Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. Get your BA Future Travel Voucher Application here.
You want to make a booking with the flexibility to change travel dates and destination. All bookings made between March 3 to May 31 can be exchanged for a voucher of the same value. Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. Get your BA Future Travel Voucher Application here.
You want to make a booking with the flexibility to change travel dates. There is zero change fee on all bookings made between March 3 to May 31. You can change your travel dates to the same destination up to 12 months from the original booking date. Simply go to BA Manage My Booking and choose the new dates that suit you best. Fare differences still apply.
Additional information on British Airways’ change policies, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 4/6/20 at 10:39 AM PT: In view of the evolving COVID-19 situation, Cathay Pacific is offering you more flexibility, so that you can change your plans easily.
In light of the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, Cathay Pacific is waiving rebooking, rerouting and cancellation fees – so you can change your plans easily and free of charge. Please refer to the Cathay Pacific table here to see if your ticket is eligible.
There are two special waivers in effect: one for all tickets booked on/before 23 March 2020, another for new tickets booked between 9 March 2020 and 20 April 2020. These waivers allow you to alter your existing plans, or book ahead with greater peace of mind.
- Bookings made on/before March 23, 2020: If you booked on or before 23 March 2020 for travel until 31 May 2020, you can change your booking with no rebooking or rerouting fees. Please refer to the below data to determine if your booking is eligible:
- Destination/origin: All destinations/origins
- Ticket booking period: on/before March 23, 2020
- Original travel period: March 17 – May 31, 2020
- Ticket change deadline: May 31, 2020
- Must travel before: December 10, 2020
- Bookings made between March 9 and April 20, 2020: Cathay Pacific is giving you the flexibility to make free and unlimited changes to all new tickets issued between 9 March and 20 April 2020. Please refer to the below data to determine if your booking is eligible:
- Destination/origin: All destinations/origins
- Ticket booking period: March 9 – April 20, 2020
- Ticket change deadline: February 28, 2021
- Must travel before: February 28, 2021
Additional information and terms and conditions can be viewed here.
Additional information on Cathay Pacific’s refund and rebooking policies, as well as travel restrictions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 4:18PM PT:
Temporary Shutdown of Operations. The Government of Panama banned all international flights, beginning on March 22 at 11:59 p.m. through April 21, 2020, for the purpose of protecting the health of Panamanians, due to the coronavirus outbreak in the country and region. As a result, Copa Airlines will temporarily suspend its operations, as the airline has been forced to cancel all flights during that period.
Exchange Policy for Tickets Purchased Before March 31, 2020.
Copa Airlines made their exchange policies more flexible, providing you more options and the confidence you need to continue traveling with Copa. You can make adjustments to your itinerary without change fees. Please contact Copa’s Reservation Center, visit Copa’s Sales Offices or Travel Agencies to request changes, according to the following conditions:
- Tickets purchased until March 31, 2020
- Original travel dates must be originated and completed by June 15, 2020
- New travel must be completed by December 31, 2020 or according to ticket validity (whichever happens first)
- Applies only to Copa Airlines tickets: regulars and award tickets.
- The exemption of change fee only applies once.
- Refund and cancellations apply according to fare rules conditions.
Additional information on Copa’s change policy, terms and conditions, as well as their response to the coronavirus outbreak, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 4/7/20 at 11:04 AM PT: Amid the ongoing challenges of the coronavirus pandemic, Delta Air Lines is committing the utmost care and attention to evaluating our travel waiver policies and continuing to make it even easier for customers to cancel, change or rebook travel.
Extending the Ability to Rebook Coronavirus-Impacted Travel For Up To Two Years. Whether customers have been affected by recent schedule adjustments or want additional reassurance about upcoming travel, Delta is now extending the ability to plan, re-book and travel with us for up to two years – giving Delta customers some extra breathing room. Tickets normally expire one year after purchase, but Delta is providing waived change fees and greater flexibility to travel through May 31, 2022, for customers who:
- Have upcoming travel already booked in April or May 2020 as of April 3, 2020
- Have existing eCredits or canceled travel from flights in March, April or May 2020
Meanwhile, new tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee for up to a year from the date of purchase. For detailed terms and conditions, visit this page.
Waiver Information. Delta Air Lines is extending its waiver to protect customers purchasing tickets between March 1, 2020 and April 15, 2020, for future travel to any destination, due to the Coronavirus situation. The waiver applies to tickets issued between March 1 and April 15, 2020, for any destination. New Tickets Must Be Reissued On or Before: March 12, 2021.
New Travel Must Originate On or Before: March 12, 2021.
All U.S. Domestic Travel Waiver Information: Delta is waiving change fees for all U.S. Domestic travel (travel solely within the U.S. 50) on tickets issues on/before March 21, 2020 for travel between March 17, 2020 – May 31, 2020. Additional terms and conditions apply.
All International Travel Waiver Information: Delta is waiving change fees for all International Flights (not including travel solely within the U.S. 50) on tickets issues on/before March 17, 2020 for travel between March 17, 2020 – May 31, 2020. Additional terms and conditions apply.
Additional information on Delta’s waiver policy, how to change or cancel a flight, as well as travel restrictions and schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/20 at 10:30PM PT: Fiji Airways is offering flexibility for guests wishing to change their flights to defer travel without any change fees or hold credit for later travel (a fare difference may apply, especially if partner airlines are involved in the booking).
All passengers with existing or new booking(s) with Fiji Airways (FJ/260) have the following flexibility :
- If guests wish to change their travel dates, they can do so without incurring any fees (reissue fees and fare difference included) should they travel by June 30, 2020.
- There will be no reissue fees (fare difference fee will apply) should guests wish to travel after June 30, 2020.
- If your flights were booked through a travel agency or third-party website, you will need to contact these companies directly to make changes to your booking. Fiji Airways is unable to make changes to bookings done by third-party websites. The same conditions listed above will apply.
- If you are unsure as to when you would like to travel, you can have your fare held in credit. Upon rebooking, any change fees will be waived.
Additional information on Fiji Airways’ rebooking policy, terms and conditions, as well as schedule changes and travel advisories for Australia and New Zealand, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 7:57PM PT: Whether you have an existing reservation or are looking to make a new reservation with flexibility, Frontier Airlines has created several options to assist you during these unprecedented times.
Existing Reservations. For tickets issued prior to March 10, 2020 and with travel through April 30, 2020: Customers may make a one-time change to their itinerary without a change/cancel fee.
Flexibility For New Bookings. For tickets issued March 10 through April 15, 2020: Customers may make a one-time change to their itinerary without a change/cancel fee.
You can now change or cancel your flight through Frontier’s online change/cancel tool without incurring a change fee, per Frontier’s policies. Simply visit Frontier’s My Trip page to make changes to your reservation. You’ll need to have your confirmation number handy to look up your reservation. Terms and conditions can be found here.
Additional information on Frontier’s cancel/fee waiver for new bookings and existing bookings, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 8:13PM PT:
Hawaii Travel Restrictions and Flight Schedule Adjustments. Following the announcement by Hawaii Governor Ige of a 14-day quarantine requirement for all arrivals into and within the state, Hawaiian Airlines has made further near-term adjustments to its long-haul and neighbor island schedules. Effective April 1, Hawaiian Airlines will operate one daily nonstop flight between Honolulu (HNL) and Los Angeles (LAX) and one daily flight between Honolulu (HNL) and San Francisco (SFO). Hawaiian Airlines had originally stated that they would be keeping one weekly flight between Honolulu (HNL) and American Samoa (PPG), however at the request of the American Samoa government, Hawaiian Airlines has temporarily suspended service. Hawaiian Airlines will also be also reducing its Neighbor Island schedule – starting with the suspension of ‘Ohana by Hawaiian service between Honolulu and Kapalua in West Maui effective March 25 – but keep a network of passenger and cargo flights that will continue to provide vital connectivity for guests traveling within the state. Please also note that between March 25 through April 30, the governor has issued a stay-at-home order for the State of Hawaii. An updated flight schedule can be accessed here.
- For tickets purchased between March and May 2020: No change fees for any changes made within one (1) year of the original ticket purchase date. A fare difference may apply.
- For tickets purchased before March 1, 2020 with travel dates between March and May 2020: No change fees for rebooked travel that begins on or before Dec. 31, 2020. A fare difference may apply. Tickets must be changed no later than Dec. 31, 2020 or one year from the original ticket purchase date (whichever is later). If the ticket expiration date occurs prior to Dec. 31, 2020, a one-time exchange (without charge) can be applied to extend the ticket validity another 12 months.
Additional information on Hawaiian Airlines’ change policies, terms and conditions, as well as information on select country government travel restrictions and other waivers, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/2020 at 8:23PM PT:
Travel Advisory. Beginning Tuesday, March 24, Florida issued an Executive Order for all customers who depart from New York, New Jersey or Connecticut to self-quarantine for 14 days after arriving into Florida. Travel notices for additional JetBlue destinations can be found here.
No Change/Cancel Fees for Previous Bookings.
Due to the ongoing coronavirus situation, JetBlue is waiving change/cancel fees for customers traveling through May 31, 2020. Customers may rebook their flights for travel through October 24, 2020 online in the JetBlue Manage Trips section of jetblue.com or contact JetBlue prior to the departure time of their originally scheduled flight. Fare difference may apply. For cancellations, funds will be issued as a JetBlue Travel Bank Credit, valid for 18 months from date of issuance.
Change/Cancel Fees Suspended for New Bookings.
In response to coronavirus, JetBlue has suspending change and cancel fees for all new bookings made between March 27, 2020 and April 30, 2020 for travel through October 24, 2020. If you need to travel, you can book with confidence and know that changes or cancellations will be allowed without penalty should travel plans change.The change/cancel fees suspension still applies for bookings made between February 27 and March 5, 2020 for travel through June 1, 2020, and for bookings made between March 6 and March 26, 2020 for travel through September 8, 2020. In the event you need to make a change to a booking made between the qualifying dates listed above, visit the JetBlue Manage Trips section of jetblue.com or contact JetBlue for assistance.
Additional information on JetBlue’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 2:21PM PT: KLM has extended the rebooking possibilities to all of their flights. You can now book your KLM flight with the guarantee of being able to change your booking at no extra cost. Please note that this temporary policy does not replace the existing policies to specific destinations.
Rebook Your Flight
If you have booked a flight with a scheduled departure until May 31, 2020, please see below rebooking options KLM can offer you. Please note that this policy does not replace the existing policies for specific destinations. For KLM Package Deals, a different policy applies.
- Change your travel dates. You may change your travel dates without having to pay the change fee. Until and including November 30, 2020, you can change your travel dates if the same travel class as mentioned on your original ticket is available. From December 1, 2020 onwards, you can change your travel dates if the same fare type as mentioned in your original ticket is available. If you change to a higher fare type, you may need to pay the fare difference.
- Change your destination. You may use the full value of your original tickets for new tickets on KLM, Air France, Delta Air Lines or Virgin Atlantic. You will not have to pay the change fee.
- Request a voucher. You can also choose to postpone your trip. In this case, KLM will provide you with a voucher that will be valid for 1 year and can be used on KLM, Air France, Delta, and Virgin Atlantic flights. This voucher will be non-refundable.
Additional details on KLM’s change and cancel policy, terms and conditions, as well as rebooking policies for the US, China, Italy, India, Kuwait, Bahrain, Singapore and South Korea, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/18/20 at 3:12PM PT: LATAM has enabled a special site on latam.com so you can reschedule your trips with the flexible policies they have developed in response to the COVID-19 crisis. If you have a flight booked between March 17 and May 31, 2020 in countries with border closures and/or state of emergency, you can change your ticket yourself through LATAM’s website. Reschedule your flight here.
If you purchased your LATAM ticket on or before March 14, 2020 and your flight is before April 30, 2020; you may reschedule your flight without penalties up to December 31, 2020. Any fare difference must be paid.
If you purchased your ticket between March 15 and March 31, 2020; you may reschedule your flight without penalties up to December 31, 2020. Any fare difference must be paid.
If you are uncertain about your new travel date, please call LATAM before your original flight date. You are entitled to the option of keeping the ticket value as a personal credit for future travel up to December 31, 2020.
Additional information on LATAM’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 8:36PM PT:
Extended Rebooking and Voucher Options. In view of the exceptional circumstances caused by the spread of the coronavirus, the Lufthansa Group Airlines Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and Air Dolomiti offer even greater flexibility for your travel plans.
Postponing your travel plans. If you hold a ticket for a cancelled or an existing Lufthansa Group flight, you can keep the ticket without having to commit to a new flight date right away. Existing bookings will initially be cancelled, but the ticket and ticket value will remain unchanged. To tickets booked up to and including 19 April 2020 and with a confirmed travel date up to and including 30 April 2021 following regulation applies:
- The tickets can be extended to a new departure date up to and including 30 April 2021. You can also rebook to another destination. The new flight must be booked until 31 August 2020.
- For every rebooked ticket with new departure date on/before 31 December 2020 a discount of 50€ on the ticket price is offered additionally. Of course rebooking fees will still not be charged, regardless of which fare was booked. Should the rebooked fare be more expensive due to a change of destination (e.g. rebooking from short-haul to long-haul), change of class of travel or similar, an additional payment may be necessary despite the discount.
- Rebookings can be done through Lufthansa’s Service Center or your travel agent. You do not have to contact Lufthansa before your original flight date – your ticket will keep its validity even past the original flight date. You will be able to rebook it any time until 31 August 2020. Due to the very high call volume in Lufthansa’s Service Center, they currently ask you only to contact them if you are traveling within the next 72 hours.
- Additional information on how to rebook as well as terms and conditions may be found here.
Requesting a Voucher for Your Flight. Visit Lufthansa’s FlightVoucher page to learn more about the possibilities to receive a flight voucher for your Lufthansa flight to be redeemed at a later point in time.
Additional information on The Lufthansa Group’s booking and change policies, as well as information on their schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/20 at 8:40PM PT:
Booking Changes and Refunds.
Anyone holding a Qantas ticket for travel before 31 July 2020 can get a flight credit and retain the full value of your booking. You’ll need to do this by 30 April 2020. The flight credit is valid for booking and travel by 31 December 2021. This gives you more than 18 months to plan, rebook and travel.
If you already have a Qantas flight credit issued on or after 31 January 2020, this will also be automatically extended but may take a few weeks to update in our system.
No change fees apply when rebooking but note that the flight credit can only be used towards a fare of equal or higher value than the original fare you purchased. For full details see booking changes and other options.
Additional information on Qantas’ schedule flexible changes policies, terms and conditions, as well as schedule changes, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/2020 at 8:45PM PT:
Destinations Experiencing Travel Disruptions. Southwest Airlines is aware that government mandates have resulted in restrictions on air travel due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Unfortunately, many of the restrictions will result in flight cancellations, and Southwest sincerely regrets any inconvenience created by the travel disruptions. A list of Southwest destinations currently experiencing travel disruptions can be found here.
Rebook Your Travel.If you are scheduled to travel between today and April 30, you can change your travel to a date 60 days from the original date of travel without paying any difference in fare if you are traveling between the same origin and destination. You can do this online by visiting Southwest.com/rebook. Look for flights that display as “Available.” Flights that show a price point are not eligible for a change without paying a fare difference. Doing this online is your best option as call volumes are likely to be very high, so wait times to reach a Southwest Representative may be long.
Cancel Your Flight. If you decide not to travel, as long as you cancel your flight at least 10 minutes before its scheduled departure, the funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase. However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
- Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1 – May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
- Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1 – May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.
Also, any travel planned through the end of April can be changed online for up to 60 days from the original date of travel without paying any difference in fare if you are traveling between the same origin and destination.
Additional information on how Southwest is monitoring and responding to the Coronavirus can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/2020 at 9:00PM PT:
Suspended Flights Due to Coronavirus. Starting from March 27, 2020, 23:59 (UTC +3), all our international flights are suspended temporarily. Only domestic flights to Adana, Ankara, Antalya, Diyarbakır, Erzurum, Gaziantep, Istanbul, Izmir, Kayseri, Konya, Malatya, Samsun, Trabzon and Van will be operated on a limited basis. All other domestic flights are suspended temporarily. As of March 29, 2020, 06:00 (UTC +3), all passengers on domestic flights are required to submit an official Travel Permit Document obtained from the Travel Permit Council. Passengers without an official Travel Permit Document will not be allowed to board the aircraft. Additional information can be viewed here.
Plan Your Flexible Flights with Zero Change Fee Privilege. Turkish Airlines is applying Zero Change Fee and Change to Open Ticket policies for domestic and international flights, so that you can plan your travel with more flexibility, comfort and peace of mind.
- If you decided your new travel, you can benefit from the Zero Change Fee right and re-plan your flight comfortably.
- If you have not yet planned your trip, you can benefit from the Change to Open Ticket right and utilize it after your plans are made.
For tickets purchased on or before March 20, 2020, for flights until December 31, 2020 (except for tickets for domestic flights in Turkey and to/from Ercan airport), Turkish Airlines is offering a zero fee for changes. If you still do not know the exact travel date, you can cancel the reservation and save your ticket as a ticket with an open date so that you can use it later. When submitting a request for changes to the issued ticket, your first request for changes will be made free of charge. If your travel plans change, take advantage of the zero change fee privilege and enjoy flexible flight conditions. Additional terms and conditions apply.
Additional information on Turkish Airlines’ change policy, as well as schedule changes and travel restrictions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/2020 at 9:06PM PT:
Global Change Fee Waiver. United Airlines is offering all change fees waived for tickets issued before or on March 2, 2020.
- Original ticket must be issued on or before: March 2, 2020
- Original travel dates: March 3, 2020 – May 31, 2020
- Flight changes: New tickets must be reissued on/before December 31, 2020 or 12 months from original ticket date, whichever is earlier.
- Rebooked travel must commence within 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
No Change Fees for New Bookings. United Airlines knows people are taking a second look at their travel plans right now, and United wants you to have flexibility when planning your next trip — that’s why when you book a flight with United by April 30, 2020, you can change it for free over the next 12 months. See terms and conditions.
Additional information on United Airlines’ flexible change policy, terms and additions, as well as flight suspensions and schedule reductions can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/2020 at 9:12PM PT:
Travel Advisory and Flight Schedule Adjustments. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) are advising British people traveling abroad to return to the UK now. Because of increasing travel restrictions, Virgin Atlantic is only operating scheduled flights between London Heathrow and New York-JFK, Los Angeles and Hong Kong. If your flight has been cancelled and you can’t get home, it’s really important that you let Virgin Atlantic know through their Away from home form.
By completing this form, Virgin Atlantic’s team will know where you are and can organize options to get you home. Depending on the restrictions in the country you are in, they may need to arrange a flight for you with an alternative carrier or provide a charter flight. Having your contact details allows Virgin Atlantic to keep in regular contact with you via email and SMS messaging.
Book and Rebook With Confidence.
Virgin Atlantic has extended its flexible no change fees policy:
- For customers that have a ticket originally issued on or before March 11, 2020 for original dates of travel up to and including May 31, 2020: Travel can be rebooked March 13, 2020 – April 30, 2021.
- For customers that have a ticket originally issued between March 12, 2020 and May 31, 2020, for original dates of travel up to and including December 31, 2020: Travel can be rebooked March 13, 2020 – April 30, 2021.
This means that if your plans do need to change, you can switch your flight to an alternative date with no penalty. Virgin Atlantic will waive the fee for one change. Rebooked flights will be subject to availability and any difference in fare.
Additional information on Virgin Atlantic’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/31/2020 at 9:21PM PT:
Suspension of Commercial Operations. Recently WestJet announced the suspension of its commercial operations for all transborder (United States, including Hawaii) and international (Europe, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America) flights as of Sunday, March 22 for a 30-day period. Whether WestJet is flying or not, they are always here for their guests. During this downtime, WestJet will be doing everything they can to accommodate your changing travel needs.
Flexible Change Policy.WestJet has made it easier for guests impacted by the following events to make changes to their itineraries. Guests who have made their booking through a travel agency should contact their travel agent directly.
- Flexible change/cancel policy for new bookings. WestJet wants you to book with confidence and has implemented the following flexible change/cancel policy: All new flight bookings made between March 3, 2020 and April 15, 2020 will be allowed a one-time change fee waiver. The one-time fee waiver is available for any itinerary change or cancellation made more than 24 hours from departure. You’ll have up to 24 hours before your flight to take advantage of our current flexible change/cancel policy.
- Flexible change and cancel policy for existing bookings. For flights booked before April 15, 2020 for travel in March, April or May 2020:
- $0 one-time fee waiver for changes or cancellations.
- Change or cancellation must be requested at least 2 hours prior to departure.
- Value of cancelled flights will be returned as a credit to your Travel Bank.
- If you change your flight, the difference in fare applies. If the new fare is less, the difference will be returned as a Travel Bank credit.
More information on WestJet’s change policy, including terms and conditions, can be viewed here.
Rail Waiver Policies
UPDATED AS OF 4/1/20 at 10:32 AM PT:
Travel Advisory. At this time, various states are undertaking specific safety precautions at stations for customers arriving from out of state. Check with each state for specific guidance. The CDC has urged residents of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to refrain from non-essential travel for 14 days. Amtrak service continues to operate on the Northeast Corridor to provide vital transportation for employees of essential services.
Providing an Essential Transportation Service. Amtrak is waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before May 31, 2020. Simply log in to your account or go to Modify Trip on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation with no fee, you must call 800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).
For more information on Amtrak’s active measures at this time, please visit: https://media.amtrak.com/2020/03/amtrak-takes-active-measures-to-maintain-safe-environment/
Lodging Rates and Cancellation Policies
Hotels are easy to cancel and get refunded as long as you booked a refundable rate. Check whether your hotel stay has a 48-hour cancellation notice requirement or allows you to cancel up to 24 hours before your stay. If your hotel is refundable within your cancellation policy, our agents can help you cancel or change your travel plans.
If you paid up front or selected a discounted non-refundable rate when booking your hotel stay, you may not have a cancellation option. You can read more about the various hotel rate types here.
UPDATE AS OF 3/5/20 at 10:25AM PT: Certain areas around the globe such as Mainland China, Hong Kong, and South Korea have been deemed “high risk” for travel by the State Department, CDC, and WHO due to spread of the Coronavirus. In response, and to help keep travelers stay safe, some hotels are practicing more flexible cancellation policies than usual and waiving change fees. If you have booked an upcoming stay in one of these destinations through TravelBank, please reach out to our team of agents to see what your options are.
BEST PRACTICE FOR NEW HOTEL BOOKINGS
TravelBank offers many refundable rates with flexible cancellation policies up to 24 hours before the check-in date, so when making new hotel reservations select a refundable rate and read over the cancellation policy to understand your options.
Airbnb states that their “extenuating circumstances policy” covers its hosts and guests with eligible reservations who are being impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. As the situation evolves, Airbnb will be continuously evaluating and updating this policy.
If your trip is covered by the policy, you will have the option to cancel your homes reservation or Airbnb Experience without charge. If you’re traveling from or hosting in a severely impacted area and Airbnb can recognize your location and reservation details as outlined below, you may be notified that your reservation automatically qualifies on the reservation details page. If your reservation is eligible under this policy but you do not have a notification, please contact Airbnb.
Please visit https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/coronavirus-information-and-extenuating-circumstances-policy for further details and updates on Airbnb’s response to Coronavirus.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:25PM PT: The Godfrey Hotel Chicago is amending its standard cancellation policy for the time being. You can reschedule or cancel your stay up to 24 hours prior to arrival. If you need to make an adjustment, contact their reservations team at 855.649.2200 and they’ll do everything they can to assist.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:23PM PT: To assist guests whose travel may be impacted by the novel coronavirus, Hilton has modification and cancellation waivers in place for the following regions:
- For guests traveling to, through, or from China with stays from January 23 – March 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from Italy with stays from February 24 – April 30, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from South Korea with stays from February 24 – March 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from Saudi Arabia with stays from February 27 – march 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling to, through, or from Israel with stays from March 10 – March 31, 2020.
- For guests traveling between the United States and the following European countries from March 13 – April 12, 2020: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Hilton encourages guests with questions regarding upcoming reservations to contact Hilton Reservations and Customer Care for assistance. Group customers with current reservations are encourages to contact the respective properties directly.
Please click here to read about Hilton’s commitment to their guests, including its cleanliness and hygiene standards, and Hilton Honors Points expiration policy adjustment.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:35PM PT: Hyatt is allowing more flexibility regarding your upcoming travel, including:
Waiving Change and Cancellation Fees
Hyatt is temporarily adjusting its policies to allow for maximum flexibility to help you make the right decisions regarding travel at this time:
- Existing reservations for upcoming travel between March 14 and April 30, 2020: All existing reservations made before March 13, 2020 that are for arrivals between March 14 and April 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- New reservations for any future travel: Any reservation you make between March 13, 2020, and April 30, 2020 – for any future arrival date – can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- Existing Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations for travel through June 2020: As announced earlier, special exceptions are in place for all Advance Purchase Rate non-refundable reservations made directly with Hyatt on or before March 8, 2020 for arrivals before June 30, 2020. Guests holding these fully prepaid reservations who have decided not to travel may still opt, at least 24 hours before their stay, to receive 10,000 World of Hyatt Bonus Points compensation in lieu of both their stay and the offer above (if eligible). World of Hyatt points may be used toward future travel at any of our 900+ hotels across 17 brands globally.
For full details and to make arrangements, please call one of Hyatt’s Global Contact Centers or email them at email@example.com.
Please visit htps://www.hyatt.com/en-US/info/coronavirus-statement for further details.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:47PM PT: IHG Hotels & Resorts shares the actions they have taken in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Cancellation Policy & Booking Flexibility
IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between March 9, 2020 and April 30, 2020. This is in addition to existing cancellation policy measures we have in place, summarized below:
For any stay prior to March9 , 2020, existing measures mean that you will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, if you are traveling to or from:
- Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between January 23, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
- Italy and South Korea for any stay between February 28, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
Groups & Meetings Bookings
IHG will work with customers to manage any changes needed on a case-by-case basis. IHG hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply IHG’s existing measures, enabling these clients to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
- Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between January 23, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
- Italy and South Korea for any stay between February 28, 2020 and March 9, 2020.
Best Flexible Rates
For bookings beyond April 30, 2020, IHG wants to remind you of the flexibility already built into their rates and packages that allow guests to amend travel plans as necessary. IHG’s Best Flexible Rate allows guests to change or cancel their reservation one to two days prior to arrival. Changing the date on any reservations through our Best Flexible Rate may result in different pricing, but there is no fee for making changes.
Additional details of IHG’s cancellation and booking policies, as well as additional information on IHG Rewards Club status can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:25PM PT: For any stay until May 10th, Mama Shelter is offering free cancellation until the day of your arrival (3pm local time) for any stay booked between March 13, 2020 and May 10, 2020 included at Mama Shelter Belgrade, Bordeaux, Lille, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille, Paris East, Paris West, Prague and Toulouse.
Additional information about Mama Shelter can be viewed here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 12:55PM PT: In response to changing marketplace conditions, Marriott International is committed to ensuring its customers experience flexibility during these challenging times.
For all Marriott International hotels world-wide, Marriott is implementing the following policies:
- For guests with existing reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates that are typically more restrictive, Marriott will allow full changes or cancellation without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival,* as long as the change or cancellation is made by April 30, 2020. Please note that any changes to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- For guests making new reservations for any future arrival date, including reservations with pre-paid rates, between today and April 30, 2020, Marriott will allow the reservation to be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date.* Please note that changes to the reservation will be subject to availability and any rate differences.
- *Important Information:
- Some exclusions may apply. May exclude periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks. Please refer to individual property rate rules for details.
- Marriott Vacations Worldwide is included in this policy. Design Hotels are excluded from this policy.
- For individual reservations booked into a pre-existing group block, please refer to cancellation terms quoted at the time of reservation. For more information, please contact the group organizer or the hotel.
- For group organizer questions on terms and conditions of group contracts, please contact the hotel.
Additional details of Marriott’s cancellation policy and commitment to customers during these times can be found here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:11PM PT: Radisson is constantly updating its global cancellation policy to reflect the most recent developments related to the COVID-19 and to offer guests as much flexibility and planning comfort as possible.
- Radisson allows free modifications or free cancellations for all existing and new reservations (in all countries and all RHG hotels worldwide) for stays until April 30, 2020
- Please note that any modification to existing reservations will be subject to availability and any rate difference
- Guests who booked via online travel agents or third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider for information on their policies
- For reservations with stays after April 30, 2020, our normal cancellation policy applies
Leisure Groups, Business Groups and Meeting & Events
- Radisson allows free cancellations for China, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Italy, Belgium, Spain, France and U.S. inbound and outbound business for arrivals/meetings & events up to and including April 30, 2020
- This also applies to cancellations resulting from government travel and meeting restrictions for the duration of the respective measurement. This includes, but not limited to, the travel suspension from the European Union to the United States and the visa suspension for India
- In all other instances, Radisson’s hotel teams will work directly with you to evaluate changes needed on a case-by-case basis
- For arrivals/meetings & events after April 30, 2020, our normal cancellation policy applies.
If you need to adjust or cancel a reservation, please contact the hotel directly, use Radisson’s online form or contact your travel agent.
Additional details of Radisson’s cancellation policy and commitment to customers during these times can be found here.
UPDATED AS OF 3/12/20 AT 7:01AM PT: Given the health and safety risks posed by the COVID-19 virus, Virgin Hotels is asking all guests to please review your local authorities’ travel guidance and health advisories related to this outbreak. For the latest guides please visit the CDC travel notice website.
To assist guests whose travel may be impacted, Virgin Hotels will waive cancellation fees or deposits for hotel stays through April 30 for guest(s) traveling from countries with a Level 2 or Level 3 designation from the CDC. For the latest listing please visit the CDC travel information website.
Virgin Hotels encourages guests with questions or concerns regarding upcoming reservations to Virgin Hotels to contact the hotel where the reservation was made for assistance.
UPDATED AS OF 3/15/2020 at 1:01PM PT: Wyndham’s mission is to make hotel travel possible for all, and that becomes especially important during times of uncertainty. Its cancellation policies for direct bookings are among the most flexible in the hotel industry, with thousands of its hotels honoring no-fee cancellations up to 6 p.m. on the day of arrival. Additionally, Wyndham has enhanced our cancellation policies as follows:
- Guests traveling to or from Greater China, South Korea or Italy with direct bookings for stays in any of Wyndham’s hotels through March 31, 2020 will have their cancellation or change penalties waived.
- Guests who are prohibited from traveling to their booked hotel under applicable law will have their cancellation or change penalties waived on direct bookings.
- Globally, for existing direct bookings, all of Wyndham’s properties are required to accommodate non-cancellable rate reservation changes if the request is received at least 48 hours prior to arrival and the same number of room nights or more are booked for a future stay.
Additional information on Wyndham’s enhanced cancellation policies, as well as additional information on Wyndham Rewards member status, can be found here.